Clueless: Squad Goals Book 1, Willow Thomas


Lexi is the favorite of the duo in this one for me.  With his pining it was natural for him to brush off many flirty attempts by Ryder in the beginning and I can't say I was a fan of the way it came off as Ryder playing with him before they actually said all the words.  But I think it was Lexi's way of being present, being able to see Ryder, and his whole way of being there for his friends, family, their struggles, joys, and confrontations.  His whole being drew me in.  Even when he was being a little dumb about Ryder.

I wish Ryder were truly his match.  When he was on and good, he was good, but there were a bunch of moments that he both nearly and really did stuff it up that I couldn't love him.  I liked him, sure, because he did have times where his utter joy in everything that is Lexi brought him closer to the best version of himself.  What I didn't like was how he was so absolutely clueless about everything that he hurt Lexi, seemingly toyed with him, and then continued to almost punish him because he couldn't really open his eyes and get his head out of where the sun doesn't shine.

The resolution was a bit rushed, but with a shorter, low-angst story I don't think I can fault that too much, it just needed to hold more weight than it did.  It definitely felt like a young college kid book with some of its sophmoric humor, but again, with the setting being in college, it's not a true fault, it just made the book seem a little sillier than it could be.  None of those things are truly negative things, just observations.  Lexi was the star and his group of amazing friends are absolutely the draw to the series that I will most assuredly return to.

*$4.99 on Amazon or FREE on KU!

No comments:

Post a Comment