Thin Ice: Pine Cove Book 6, HJ Welch


Okay, so I'll be honest. There were issues in the story. Ones that would likely decrease a lot of people's enjoyment of the book and the characters. But for me, even though I saw those things, I still loved the overall story, and the men, and the ridiculousness, and the side characters, and the confessions, and the grand gesture...I enjoyed so many moments that even the missteps weren't a road block for me.

Kamren was vulnerable, sassy, and definitely not an idiot. While I do wish we got a little more of his evolution, his overcoming the insecurities and commitment hesitations, it was very clear that he did grow; he did come to accept love, change, and a whole lot of reasonable pampering.

Lee had a bit of a backbone issue and his own insecurity issues to deal with, mostly stemming from his family situation. Until he could come to terms with himself and realistic expectations he could place on both his own shoulders as well as the judgy family members, he was as stuck as Kamren in a cycle of unfulfilling life choices.

Together they found a love that, as cliche as it sounds, conquered all. The resolutions to so many of the issues were simple and quick, which I actually kind of liked because all the stuff already going on was getting a little extra so big, sappy, slightly unrealistic decisions fixing everything kind of worked for me.

So yeah, I'm not blind to quite a few things that didn't really work or make sense or weren't given enough fleshing out, but at the end of it, I just didn't care. The men just worked for me, Gamma and Mia cracked me up, the big emotional moments were suitably cheesy and wonderful, and I felt the feels.

*$5.99 on Amazon

Kamran’s ex broke his heart, tricked him into aiding a bank robbery, and now he wants him to do one last job. There’s only one way to say no: seek the protective custody of the biggest, grumpiest FBI agent ever. And pretend to be his boyfriend for a week-long family reunion in their giant mansion. Wait, what?

Agent Lee Marshall is notoriously all work and no play. Letting a flirty, hot-as-sin playboy like Kamran get under his skin is not an option. He has to protect him, not hook up with him. But pretending they’re an item for a week? That couldn’t hurt…

Kamran swore he’d never love again, but Lee will do anything to keep him out of harm’s way. Maybe there’s a teddy bear heart under the hunky FBI agent’s gruff exterior, and Kamran is the only one who can tease it out. What started out fake becomes all too real, but when Kamran’s past catches up to him, Lee must risk everything to save him.

No comments:

Post a Comment