Forever Mann: Bear Valley Book 1, Aries France


This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but while this author's style isn't something I'd gravitate toward, I couldn't help but be insanely curious about the men of the Mann family.  Each one is different, has their own trauma and needs, and are a part of a family and community that draws you in and threatens to keep you.

There was a lot of tense switching, something I struggle with myself, but it made for a confusing first few chapters.  Likely this was the author getting their flow going and the voice set up, but it was jarring and difficult to follow until the story found its footing.

Drama didn't show up for a while, but when it did, it did so with a huge set of teeth.  I thought it would have played more on the family side of the drama, Perrin's family, as the constant conversational evasions lead to a tense social gathering that forced out some answers, but while that was a passing moment that got absolutely no conclusion or resolution, the more serious drama came from Perrin's relationship and career history.

When it came it was pretty sudden and then it became a slow build up to a really big, violent climax.  As the progress was on the periphery to catch the villain it also got a longer timeline.  We followed along with Jack and a few moments with Perrin and though the view we got was more a glimpse each time of the progress, it was more believable plot-wise because no investigation with legal and FBI-type ramifications is over in a second.

Jack and Perrin were good, solid, and engaging, but I'm not sure they really packed a memorable punch.  It was the story and plot rather than the men that keep me reading until the end.  Though I have to say that the big question came from exactly who it should have come from.  It was a fantastic way to bring them back from the trauma they both experienced and to show exactly where their path was going to lead them on the way forward.  I will absolutely be back for Quinn and Bishop's story.

*$5.99 on Amazon

Jack: 
Family. Bear Valley. Work.
My life is full. I wouldn’t mind finding someone to share these things with, but finding something that fits is harder than it looks. But, then Perrin Thayer moves to Bear Valley and fits so right - in all the ways - I can’t help but fall hard for the sexy C.R.N.A.

Perrin:
Hospitals. Skiing. Travel.
I’ve been gone from the U.S. for five years of some long soul-searching. I want a permanent life somewhere. And I want it with a guy like Jack. But, when my past shows up in Bear Valley, I’m not sure if Jack and I can get through it for a future on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment