Not So Innocent: The Real Thing Book 2, Emma Lyon


I liked the writing, the voices of the MC's were distinct enough and each had their own issues to resolve or deal with before finding a future together.  Though I would have liked to see them with a little more of the settling part, like how they made their lives together.  The scene at the wedding was pretty adorable and right on brand for both men so even if we didn't get much more of them after the reconciliation, that was a really good moment.

There was a feeling of unresolved angst in Ethan's life with his father, but where we're left was actually a hopeful place despite not having him or his father open up and do a whole sharing bit.  What we got spoke to a positive progression rather than a stagnation or a decline, but that's mostly up to the interpretation of the reader than what's actually on the page.

Ethan was the younger partner and despite his lackluster enthusiasm for life after college and professions, he had good moments of maturity and insight that helped Holden see a lot of sense.  Overall it was a nice story, though character growth was lacking, but it was one that got me really curious about the series beginning with Zac and Lane.

*$4.99 on Amazon

You shouldn’t want what you can’t have.

Holden
That’s the first thing I think when I see Ethan Garrett—young, beautiful Ethan Garrett, son of Senator Garrett, the man I’ve been hired to protect. Did I mention young? Not that Ethan sees himself that way. Nearly twenty-three and fresh out of college, he thinks he knows what men like me are like. But the thoughts I have about him aren’t anywhere near innocent or nice.

Indulging a secret romance while trying to do my job can’t possibly end well, but Ethan’s made no secret that he’s put his sights on me. And I’m fast discovering that what Ethan wants, he finds a way to get.

Ethan
I don’t want nice, and I’m sure as hell not innocent. I don’t care that Holden thinks he’s too old for me—he’s the only one who doesn’t see me as a failure. And with my family in danger, he makes me feel safe. But there’s nothing safe about the way I’m starting to fall for him.

He might be leaving as soon as his job is done, but until then I’m not letting his hangups stand in our way. I’ll take whatever I can get from him, even if he breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment