Quick Reads, Quick Reviews 42


Bootyogomy (The Booty Call Series Book 1) by [Love, Frankie, Seabrook, C.M.] Rival Princes: A gay mm contemporary sweet romance (Fairyland Romances Book 1) by [Knight, Jaxon] Finding Home: An MM Shifter Romance (Northpoint Wolves Book 1) by [Gray, Kiska]




Bootyogomy (The Booty Call Series Book 1) by [Love, Frankie, Seabrook, C.M.]Bootyogomy is a silly title with a seriously sexy story that brings two friends together despite the "taboo" of the best friends' little sister throwing a wrench in their romance.  The overall story was pretty cute with a forever crush on both parts finally finding resolution with one another.  While Max and Kendall worked together and were opposites in many ways, I'll admit that the language and descriptions of their more sensual moments felt a bit over the top, a little too cringey, quite juvenile.  It read as young as the characters were and served as a reminder that more crass language seems to be more popular among that age group.  While I'm absolutely no prude, I just think it was a bit much.  The sweetness, however, made a valiant effort to balance the more erotic aspects of the story and I loved how genuine their connection felt.  There were a few too many things unsaid until the last moments, but the end of the book was pretty much perfect.  It continued their story to a satisfying point and completely fit their characters.  3 stars.
 Bootyogomy: Booty Call Series Book 1, C.M. Seabrook and Frankie Love

Rival Princes: A gay mm contemporary sweet romance (Fairyland Romances Book 1) by [Knight, Jaxon]Like a certain "world of mouse" with an iconic castle, the world of fantasy in this story is a bit cutesy, a bit cheesy, and rife with behind-the-scenes drama.  I enjoyed this story as much as I thought I would despite the moments where the characters' character obsession brought me out of the story.  It was my hopes for the men as well as the supporting cast that kept me invested.  Nate was the star for me as his natural "princely" qualities meshed with his endearing sweetness, tenacity, and honesty.  Dash took a while for me to warm up to.  His reasons for his behavior were understandable, but nowhere near acceptable.  There was a whole lot he needed to do to earn redemption and it took a long time for him to get around to it, but by the end he was well on his way.  We were left seeing the potential rather than something a bit more conclusive.  As it stands, the ending seems a bit rushed, the resolution isn't completely satisfying, and it felt more like an HFN.  I think I'll sign up for the newsletter so I can get their epilogue.  If the story were a bit longer or more balanced in a way that would have given us a stronger ending, this story would have been almost fantastic.  3.5 stars.
 Rival Princes: Fairyland Romances Book 1, Jamie Sands

Finding Home: An MM Shifter Romance (Northpoint Wolves Book 1) by [Gray, Kiska]A kidnapping, a brand, revenge, and fate's absurd humor in choosing fated mates...  You don't get hit with the darker elements until farther into the story and the world set-up is short but understandable enough to avoid confusion.  I liked Tegan right away with his attitude, his grasp of reality, his strength, his yearning for love, pack, and home.  Rhine was unintentionally funny.  His blind rage got him into the whole kidnapping mess and his lack of self control just keeps him digging his hole deeper and deeper.  I felt so sorry for him constantly putting his foot in it but I was also chuckling at just how ridiculous he made things at every turn.  But it was them together fighting and giving in to their attraction, their obvious hearts that took a bit to get on the same page, and their incredible love for family that gave them motivation.

There were some disturbing elements that were a shock to read yet weren't so graphic that I felt uncomfortable (*huge note for a trigger warning here though...rape is never entertainment).  Though distressing, it was a whole lot more plausible than the perfectly-timed rescues we see in most other stories.  The darker elements lent a level of intrigue that drew me into the series, not just the story.  I think there was a pretty good balance found here and I'll definitely be back for more.  The supporting cast is really great and the family's journey is only just beginning.  There's a whole lot more coming and I want to find out what happens to everyone.  4 stars.
Finding Home: Northpoint Wolves Book 1, Kiska Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment