I've Got You, Becca Seymour

I've Got You by [Seymour, Becca]
 I've Got You, Becca Seymour

I didn't read Let Me Show You prior to this so I wasn't privy to all that Scott was ashamed of.  I will say, though, that I'm pretty glad.  Going into this with no notions of who these men were gave me a chance to view them through a clear lens.  In doing so I found humility, humor, passion, fear, vulnerability, understanding, growth, and love.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Scott was the victim of both internalized and external homophobia.  Because of the abuse suffered from all angles, he lashed out in jealousy and fear toward someone he knew didn't deserve it.  (Those events were in Let Me Show You.)  Luckily, that man was forgiving and held out a greater hope for Scott than he had for himself.  It was Scott's insecurities and the intimations of their cause that interested me at first, but it was his genuineness that kept me invested in his evolution.  He knew when he was saying or doing something in reaction to fear and was trying hard to overcome it.  I respected that.  What I loved most was that even through his fear, once he made the decision to make something work, he didn't run.  By turning to those who had his back despite seeing him at his very worst, he began to accept the makeshift family that was waiting to love him back.

And then there's Davis.  His lighthearted way of living life was a little too pretty, a little too perfect to fully accept.  I'm becoming a single mom myself and despite not having the kind of community he does to help with child rearing, I can't believe that it's that easy.  I'm not the type to stress out or worry or become anxious so I can relate to him in a way, but the complete lack of struggle in so many things was a bit off-putting.  Thankfully he was a cool guy who loved fully and rolled with the punches.  His stability and calm gave Scott the perfect foil to his struggles.  He was also pretty funny and gave a lighter feel to the story that could have taken a much more angsty turn.

When the confrontations came, it was through love, hard-won inner strength, and the support of those who had his back that gave Scott the determination to stand against that which had crushed him in the past and threatened to ruin all that he was building.  I really, really liked where the story ended up and was left feeling light, happy, and content.  I wish there were more, actually.  I want an extended epilogue to see how their family grows and settles.  The steam is high but more behind closed doors with reminiscences  rather than a hot in-the-moment play-by-play.  Overall, this was a wonderful story where the title was truly apt.

*$2.99 on Amazon!
 I've Got You, Becca Seymour

When a single dad and a newly outed veterinarian meet by chance, it takes red-cheeked conversations, a tentative friendship, and the willingness to put their hearts on the line to show these men they’re made for each other. 

Single dad Davis Jackson is busy balancing his coffee shop and being the best dad he can be. That doesn’t mean he’s not lonely. After a fumbling encounter with a man who looks as gorgeous as he does unhappy, Davis is left wondering who the mystery man is.  

All Davis knows is that he has never felt such an instant attraction to anyone before, but when he discovers the brown-eyed man’s identity, it’s clear the recently out-of-the-closet veterinarian is lost and quite possibly broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment