Find the Jinn: Wilde Contracts Book 1, Maz Maddox




The premise grabbed me right away and I was ready to jump right in. Despite feeling like we were coming in a chapter or two later even though it was the opening scene, this wasn't the first story I've read that did this kind of thing. I was sure we would get a little explanation, back story, or something to catch me up so I pressed on...but we didn't get any of those things.

For the first book of a series it felt like I was missing something -- constantly. I've read in other reviews about Killing the Messenger (or is it Kill the Messenger?) that I got through a Prolific Works giveaway event so I'll need to back to that and read to see if there's anything that can give me a better picture, but I'm not sure what to expect in that regard.

I really enjoyed all the characters, but for very different reasons. Dallas was incredibly flawed and we can see pretty early on that there's a torturous tragedy in his past that he's running away from by using drugs, danger, bravado, and any and all kinds of avoidance. I'm sure there will be a sharing, a reckoning that will take place, but that wasn't here in this first book. So for trigger warnings, there is drug use, unfaithful partners, alcohol use, and servant/master type situations.

The two other characters that play a pivotal role may or may not be actual love interests and they intrigued me from the beginning as well. There's an incubus, Sias, who seems to care for Dallas, but has no commitment or intentionally tender moments to show us that there's more than a preferred "meal" situation between them. Is there a possibility for more? Definitely. There's also some incendiary spice between them in a club where Dallas is offered up as a delicacy...

Zane is the one that intrigued me the most out of the two possible interests there. There's a bit of an enemies to reluctant partners to possibly something more spicy to maybe lovers kind of situation brewing there. Because of the connection between Zane and Dallas there's bound to be confusion, frustration, and a reluctant amount of feels that may be misconstrued, argued away, and eventually explored. At least, I sure hope so!

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the progression, all the types of progression, that we're going to get in this series. Opening of hearts, vulnerabilities, and a whole lot of answers needs to happen before the end of it though, otherwise I might revolt...kind of, haha.

There isn't an actual romantic relationship by the end of this first story and, to be honest, I'd be a little on the disappointed side of apprehension if either potential love interest is chosen over the other one at this point; I'm kind of hoping for an MMM situation even though that's not my preference in pairings. It kind of feels right for now to imagine that will be the outcome, but there are still two more books to go.

But really, the thing to keep in mind here is that in this first book you're going to feel lost, frustrated, intrigued, annoyed, disappointed, and eager for more all at the same time. Maybe you'll be more on one side than the other, but I think you should really give the rest of the series a shot before deciding overall that this just wasn't for you. This isn't the best showing of the author in a first-of-the-series way, but it is definitely their style and I'm sure we'll get something great to follow it up...well, after being stymied by more frustration first. There are A LOT of threads that need tying off because they keep getting dropped for no good reason.

*$6.99 on Amazon or FREE on KU!

No comments:

Post a Comment