Baking with A Ghost, R.M. Neill


I really wanted to round down from 2.5 stars, but 2 stars means I really didn't like it and this didn't quite meet that criteria.

There was just no connection between the characters, between me as a reader and the characters, and nothing compelling about the writing. I can't believe this is indicative of the author's other works because I've enjoyed others from them. It was just so...so...boring. I struggled so hard to finish this book, to get into it enough to want to finish it.

At so many moments I thought, "this has to get better. It just has to." Only...it didn't. It was just as dry and uninspiring at the end as it was in the middle as it was in the beginning. The conflict with the ex fell flat because it seemed like a huge escape from abuse in the beginning only to be watered down so much that it seemed that all the drama in the beginning was unfounded. The seance moment was awkward for sure too.

I think the most interesting thing was the medium themselves. I'm interested in them, but only in a mildly intrigued way. The weird and overacted references to his mystery and the what-if part from the news article was inelegant. And Simon's connection to him was awkwardly shocking and the unexplained emotionalness was unsatisfying.

So it's not like I majorly disliked the book, there were just so many little moments that I totally didn't care about. Moments that led to a whole story that I kind of wish I hadn't felt so committed to finishing. This is not like what the author can usually produce, it's a frustrating anomaly.

*$2.99 on Amazon or FREE on KU!

No comments:

Post a Comment