Royal Line: Tattered Royals Book 1, Carrie Ann Ryan and Nana Malone



From the start it was easy to tell that London wasn't truly a pampered royal and it was easy to like her right away.  I grew to love her when it was clear that even under duress, while stressed, feeling vulnerable, and nearly blindsided by an unexpected lust for her savior, she didn't run in fear and was absolutely in control of her reasoning.  She knew not to be an idiot about her safety.  While not wanting to give up everything about her life, she could also admit when it was far too dangerous for her to continue and again, not be an idiot about her safety.

Of course, she chafed at the restrictions, but that was completely understandable under the circumstances.  And not just because of the threat nipping at her heels.  I applauded her for chafing at the high handedness of all the men in her life and especially calling Kannon out numerous times about his astonishingly awful behavior.


In fact, I am so, so sad to say that I didn't like Kannon and he never grew on me.  Not even a little.  His attitude was more than just growly lion with a thorn in his paw, a tortured hero with a traumatic past, or even just a plain ol' jerk in unnecessarily large quantities.  He was disrespectful and patronizing and hurtful on so many occasions that not even his groveling near the end nor his confession enough to redeem him for me.

So the romance didn't just fall flat for me, it tanked and I'm incredibly sad about that.  And honestly, everyone except for London, Sparrow, and Rian were Judgy McJudgersons in virtually every aspect and at every opportunity.  I got really tired of that.  Adding in the very, very obvious villain (way, way too many references to how good and obligated they were smacked of trying too hard to direct attention elsewhere) with a lackluster confrontation (insanity and monologuing and a far too descriptive fight scene?) and you've got a 2.5 star story for me.  I rounded it up because London was a woman worth knowing.


The epilogue was incredibly predictable, I mean, the only surprise was the hair color(s).  I can't say I'll be reading the brothers' stories because they really didn't wow me in any way, it was London that was memorable.  Though I will admit that the chemistry was definitely there, it needed a balance of tenderness and affection, not a wishy washy, fickle, woe-is-me martyr of a dude who suddenly decides London is worth a forced plane trip and no counseling to get his issues taken care of before attempting to win her back.

I love Nana Malone and her writing, her characters are usually compelling, the action well-written and complex enough to draw interest, and the love just as palpable as the physical chemistry.  This story did not live up to what I know I'll get from her books.

*$4.99 on Amazon

I never asked for my tiara.
My dreams were always bigger than a palace. They're as big as the world.
Being fourth in line for the throne should have guaranteed me freedom.
I thought I was one step from walking away forever, but a long-forgotten rule forces me to run instead.
I refuse to marry a Duke and bear an heir to save our titles.
I trust my brothers to find a way to save my future, but first I need to save myself.
Only I never expected to meet danger...and Kannon Adams along the way.

I never asked for her.
My security business has secured all the clueless princess types I can handle.
Princess London Waterford of Alden is a whole other level of trouble.
Not to mention gorgeous and tempting as royal sin. Too bad she's also in danger.
When the bullets fly, I trust no one else to protect her, even if she pushes me away.
Together, we must find who's behind the threat to her life and try not to get caught in the crossfire.
One night together might never be enough, but if those who want her dead have a say, it'll be our last.

No comments:

Post a Comment