How to Elude a Vampire: VRC Book 2, Alice Winters

How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 2) by [Alice Winters]

Yeah, so, I feel like spouting that cliche verse of "How do I love Thee, let me count the ways..." or something.  Seriously.  How, I mean really, how in the world can you have someone as completely adorable, badA, honest, utterly ridiculous, charming, and strong as Finn and not fall head over feels for him?  Marcus can't resist either.  No matter what gets thrown at them, their commitment, intelligence, and hearts won't let them quit or fail.  They've got an utterly fabulous cast surrounding them that I can't get enough of their world.

I think the only negative I have about this book were the number of shady moments with so many characters that felt like trying too hard to throw off the scent for who some of us predicted might be the big, bad villain.  Though, to be honest, it worked.  I had an idea, then thought it might be someone else, and then someone else that may not have been the bad guy but likely played a big role in cahoots with the bad guy, only to have it turn out to be my first suspicion.  So those moments seemed heavy handed, but they were effective enough that the revealing moment was enough of a surprise that I was pleased to have been taken on a little ride.

But there's just no accounting for Finn's level of awesome.  He was incredibly vulnerable here, but the way he used his brain to make connections, plans, and to carry out the shenanigans we've come to expect was made of win.  I really liked his reactions to confinement, chafing at the restrictions placed by those whom he knows love him endlessly, but still giving in to his frustrations enough to be a believable human moment.

And then there's Marcus.  It's like the person we met in How to Vex a Vampire never existed, and watching him "avoid" those not-so-subtle reminders of his treatment of Finn in the beginning was hilarious.  Seeing him come to Finn's "rescue" and giving him exactly what he needed when things became too much was a great example of what their relationship has evolved to, a true partnership.

So then we get to all the moments of rescue.  The emotional one, the mortal one, the puppy rescue...just how many times am I going to be forced to laugh, crow, sigh, and smile in real life?  Even adding all the fun of familial relations, Karsyn's "adoration", and a semi-surprising betrayal didn't do anything to detract from the logical, believable, and anticipatory plot progression.  The investigation flowed even with all the stops and starts, lending an air of credibility to the law enforcement aspect of the whole story.  Not even the monologuing disappointed, and I have to say that was the one true ridiculously big surprise that I didn't even think to expect at all.

I never want to leave their world honestly, and I've even re-read this story in the last week since it's been published despite my super long list of reading commitments.  Reading the associated short stories from the author's FB page is helping to feed my addiction until we come back to more full-length awesomeness.  If you like snarky, vulnerable, hilarious, and sweet MC's with a heavy touch of vampires, detectives doing detective things, and a cast of chosen family that tortures, annoys, and loves the MC's to distraction, then this is absolutely a series I suggest you dive into headfirst.

*$4.99 on Amazon
 How to Elude a Vampire: VRC Book 2, Alice Winters

Finn
When the vampire stalking me sent me a letter, I was prepared for my new life with the man I love to get thrown into chaos. But as the days stretch on and nothing happens, I become determined not to allow that monster to rule my life, and decide that Marcus and I will move on. We can’t always allow the past to haunt us. If that includes pestering Marcus and harassing my fellow detectives, they’d better learn to love it, because I’m not going anywhere even if they like to remind me I’m the only human working in a department filled with vampires. But Marcus loves me for who I am, even if he’s not crazy about the cute pet names I call him like McBitey. Being with him is more than I could have dreamed, and even with the trials thrown in our way, he never fails to make me smile.

Marcus
When Finn joined the VRC, I never expected how everything would change. Now that he’s the brightest part of my days, I’m unsure of how I existed without him. Before Finn and I can settle into our new life together, we’re called in as lead detectives when a body is found in the river, and the case soon hits closer to home than we anticipated. I want to be by Finn’s side to keep him safe, but at the same time, Finn’s fighting for the freedom he’s always wanted after being forced to live a life of fear. What I do know is that my future is with Finn, no matter what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment