Fated for the Fake Fiance: Claimed by Fate Book 1, Aiden Bates and Jill Haven

Claimed By Fate by [Bates, Aiden, Haven, Jill]

I liked the idea of Fate and the town setting.  In a world where shifters are a reality, but the notion of fated mates is considered a myth, there's a lot more "reality" that can be had here.  Where relationships take work and the insta-love is more of a spark that isn't always instant, but definitley has the potential of forever if you don't dismiss it...this is the kind of story that has the potential for incredible depth and magic of all kinds.

Sometimes potential is all you get though.  The idea of Fate and the town are great, though it needed a bit more of a concrete feel, like it's something real as if everyone can feel the magnetism of both but have no words or full awareness of its meaning until they and their person are brought there.  If it had been integrated a bit better and were more solid this would have been made of win.

Markus and Levi are kind of lackluster and uninspiring on their own and the relationship was quite shallow for most of the book.  I can't say I'm a fan of holding back on how you really feel because of uncertainty and their hesitation goes beyond what I can tolerate.  There was a whole lot that could have been deepened between them and their individual growth was uneven as well.  Markus did do more changing, but I wish more had been on the page because his immaturity seemed to be his main personality point and it lasted for far too long.  Levi was in a similar place being only 18 and playing at playwriting seemed less of a passion and calling and more of an interest with juvenile sentiments guiding his writing.

There were quite a few story complications with packs, roosts, politics, mating, setting up a life in a town Markus was meant to fail in...none were given a lot of context beyond the constant reiteration of Markus' irresponsible playboy attitude that got him sent there and so I found myself confused at quite a few moments.  Being distracted from a story that lacked a clear focus and balance wasn't exactly enjoyable.

On the positive side, there were some really well-written shifting scenes and passionate moments that carried enough weight to make the story redeemable.  I'd like for the rest of the series to improve and I'm interested to see if we'll get to sink deeper into the town through a few characters that were intriguing in their peripheral roles in this story.

*$4.99 on Amazon
 Fated for the Fake Fiance: Claimed by Fate Book 1, Aiden Bates and Jill Haven

I don’t believe in fate, but this dragon makes me burn …


I want to be a playwright, not a trophy husband to whatever powerful alpha my family chooses. And when they go too far, I can’t take it any more. I’d rather be poor than their pawn. But when my past catches up to me, I do what I do best … make something up.

Mason Shanahan isn’t my fiancé, but my family doesn’t need to know that. A dragon as powerful as Mason shouldn’t be happy to play along, and a part of me is worried that he’s just as concerned with his status in society as my family. But if that’s true, why does he kiss me like me means it? He says there’s more than a fake relationship tying us together … he says we’re mates.

No one believes in those stories anymore, myself included, but the more time I spend in Mason’s arms, the more I find myself wondering … are we really faking it? Or could it be fate?

No comments:

Post a Comment