Home (Ky and Nick): Six Degrees Book 1, Sandy Smith

Home: Ky & Nick (Six Degrees Book 1) by [Sandy Smith]

I'm torn. I enjoyed the general flow of the writing, adored the epilogue, and was intrigued enough by the characters. What didn't work for me was the pacing, the non-alternating POV, the poor integration of Ky's job, the two different versions of Ky we got, and the length of time it took for Ky and Nick to actually get something going. Despite the "con" list being longer, the good things were enough to balance it out, but I'm not sure that it's enough to rave about the book either...hence being torn.

Ky is an intriguing character right off the bat. There's something about him that draws me in right away, especially his commitment to the job. The job is also something that piques my interest. Especially the case and how his insight and the details we get at the outset of the story set the tone for Ky's personality. After he kinda gets together with Nick there's something that switches inside of him and it feels like everything else that was captivating about him falls by the wayside. Not that he's no longer worth following as a character, just that there's a whole new insecure side of him that dominates the rest. I'm not exactly a fan of that, though I think there's something very human about him that becomes much more relatable. Still not a huge fan of the change, but I can't deny that this version of him is effective, I just wish there were something that connected the two versions.

Nick is different for me. Through Ky's eyes he's intriguing, but beyond that I'm just not drawn to him at all. He's not a bad character, just not interesting to me. I don't find myself caring about him beyond what he can do to progress, grow, and become a good and equal partner to Ky. Though I will say that his bit in the epilogue was superb. His sentiments are genuine, sincere, and heartfelt.

What annoys me most about the story is the lack of care put into getting Ky's investigation integrated into the story. So many vague throwaway mentions of no progress in the case that I was frustrated by the time we got to the solve, which really had nothing to do with Ky's gut feeling and everything to do with his bigoted coworker's technique and feelings surrounding the case. Everything that drew me to Ky in the very beginning was passed off to someone who was written as a dbag. And the thread with the mysterious call into his boss' office wasn't ever picked up either.

That being said, the pacing of the relationship was good, I feel. While I'm usually intolerant of other partners being involved in the MC's romantic lives, I think that it wasn't done poorly at all here. Being that Ky and Nick met through a mutual (at separate times) hookup...quite literally...it was clear that there was some kind of connection, but nothing concrete or even verbalized between either party. And then the encounters between that one and when they finally decided on something more were more of the ships passing in the night variety. I will say that having one date and then going back to being nothing is the one moment that I wasn't sure I could get past, but despite Ky becoming a bit of a desperate doormat, I was glad they were finally headed in an upward trajectory. The epilogue though...dang, that was a total gem and the sole reason I rounded up on the stars. It was a bit too big of a time jump, but the sentiments and feels were awesome.

*$3.99 on Amazon
 Home (Ky and Nick): Six Degrees Book 1, Sandy Smith

He gives me everything despite me not deserving it, but what do I give him?

Ky is an intimidating man. An overworked cop. A perfect son. He has spent the past sixteen years trying to be enough, to be worthy. Fear of anyone finding the skeleton in his closet has kept everyone at arms reach.

Nicholas is sex on legs. Sydney’s most eligible millionaire. And totally uninterested in commitment.

Ky knows he shouldn’t ask for more, that he doesn’t deserve more. But when he meets playboy Nicholas, things get messy. What happens when Nick breaks down Ky’s walls and makes him crave more? What will happen when Nick sees behind that wall and learns his secret? When Nick is everything he ever wanted, what happens when he has nothing to offer in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment