Roxy's Recovery, Kim Breyon

Roxy's Recovery by [Breyon, Kim]

Two men who need the other, but insecurities, a lack of communication, and a little too much passivity threaten to end the best thing either of them could hope to have.  Wonderfully sweet moments with animals, a fair bit of steam, and one emotionally charged outburst give a sedately affectionate and quietly passionate feel to the story.

The romantic progression was very slow, bordering on nonexistent for quite a lot of the story and I can absolutely respect the need to take things slow when trying to have a relationship with someone who is recovering from abuse of any kind.  It didn't work for me in the long run, but the intent was there.  

I'm not really sure why the Trinity thing was included.  Unless it was a way to "educate" about being bi, it was completely unnecessary.  And even the "education" was more a defensive, confrontational moment that pretty much came out of the blue based on Trinity's interest in Vaughn and his relationship with Alex.  His comments came off as super defensive and even fujoshi-shaming in his self-described lack of understanding of some women's interest in m/m pairings.  I'm not cool with that by any means.  Add in a judgmental sister that's more about condemning, shaming, bossing, and intervening and I'm pretty much done with most of the female characters in the story.

 Roxy's Recovery, Kim Breyon
*photo credit: Sharonica Logic

Another confrontation that came out of left field was the one near the end with Alex's past.  It served a purpose in resolving two big issues, but was an indirect way of dealing with those conflicts.  While it was effective in the end, I guess it's okay, but I just didn't think that was the best way to handle either problem.  It was just too big and yet also way too simple.

Speaking of those issues, I really disliked Alex's treatment of Vaughn when his insecurities and their lack of communication collide.  Since neither man can seem to use words like mature adults, there were bound to be misunderstandings and hurt feelings.  Instead of getting to the point where they do use words, a physical altercation with a third party was used to get everything out in the open.  And the person that ultimately did the "confessing" was, in my opinion, not the person who should have spoken up.  There was a distinct lack of adequate groveling and equal-opportunity confessions.  I found that quite dissatisfying.

But the sweet feels really went a long way to making things not as terrible as I'm making this book sound.  I quite like the author's writing style even if I didn't completely jive with these particular men.  There were some amazingly tender parts and the interactions with all the animals were many of the bright points of this story.  While the title is about one pug in particular, it was through it that the MC's find their own recovery that led to the happy family they've always dreamed of.

*$3.99 on Amazon
 Roxy's Recovery, Kim Breyon

As the newest veterinarian in the small town of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, Vaughn Winters doesn't have time for relationships. He is too busy healing injuries and establishing his reputation as a trustworthy vet. But when a strange man waves him down on a stormy night seeking help for his injured dog, Vaughn simply can't refuse.

Obviously homeless and with no means to pay for Roxy's medical care, Vaughn throws caution to the wind and strikes a deal with the hesitant stranger that would allow Roxy the time to heal and provide some much needed TLC to his property as well. As the days pass, Vaughn's curiosity grows. Alex's dedication to the job is as surprising as the sexy tats hidden beneath his rugged clothes. What could have pushed this kind, hardworking man to the streets, or cast such dark shadows in his otherwise bright blue eyes?

Will six weeks be enough time to earn Alex's trust? Or will asking questions cause him to tuck tail and run as soon as Roxy is able?

 Kim Breyon Instagram

About Kim
 Kim Breyon, Author
I am an Idaho native who grew up dreaming about traveling the world and writing stories. As a child, I would often spend my spare time curled up with my favorite blanket and a notebook, writing another fairy tale. I never would have guessed those fairy tales would one day grow into gay romances, but that is where my heart led me and I am so glad it did. I write about love because I believe it can happen to anyone, with anyone. I also believe dreams never expire, redemption is possible, and true forgiveness can heal us in ways we never expect. I know firsthand how messy life can get, but as any artist will tell you, a little mess is needed to create something beautiful. That’s why I write, to help others see that anything can be beautiful. You can often find me with a mug of coffee in one hand and a dog toy in the other. There is never a day that goes by without my sweet boy insisting on a game - or twenty - of fetch.

Follow Kim...

No comments:

Post a Comment