Diamond in the Rough: Four Kings Security Book 4, Charlie Cochet

Diamond in the Rough: Four Kings Security Book Four by [Cochet, Charlie]

All. The. Things.  I think I'm either legit blind to anything wrong with this story or there really is nothing to be found.  My favorite trope is the ugly duckling trope and while this doesn't fit it perfectly, it's got everything I love about it.  From the nerdy, geeky, super genius that no one else seems to get or appreciate and the super desirable object of their admiration/affection seeing only them in return and loving everything that makes them unique (beauty in the eye of the beholder), the transformative power of their love becoming the freedom to accept themselves and let their awesomeness shine to the point that everyone sees them for who they really are, that the core of the story is really about their struggle to accept themselves and to be accepted, to the truth that bullying is bad and should be intolerable.

The camaraderie between the Kings and their whole family is phenomenal.  I wasn't lucky enough to start from book one but you can be damn sure I'm going to now.  Banter, teasing, joking, support, advice, open hearts, kindness, true love, empathy, devotion, loyalty...just...everything.  I'm so floored by what was achieved with this group that I don't know why I didn't have this series on my radar before.  Sometimes the dynamic between the mains and the supports in a story can overshadow the main relationship but while the interaction here was stellar and attention-grabbing for all the right reasons, it still remained a support to the MC's and their story.  There was an amazing balance that was achieved.

All the drama moved in a predictable direction in regards to the betrayal, but I didn't mind that one bit.  There were a couple surprises along the way, which kept it interesting, and the biggest surprise was Leo's reaction to the threats at the end.  His actions were incredible, both brave and scary, and I didn't see that coming at all.  It was one of the high-points of the story's action for me.  King is a total badass and I really had no complaints about him in those regards.  As for the emotional drama, a lot of it came from Leo's insecurities, but the secret from King's past was dramatic and yet it wasn't made into a tertiary struggle for the relationship.  Instead, it was a heartfelt reveal that was resolved by honesty and heartfelt acceptance that felt right.

As for King and Leo as a couple, they were everything sappy, heartfelt, sexy, and tender that I look for.  I had high hopes after reading the synopsis and I had a gut feeling that I wouldn't be disappointed.  I was not only not disappointed, I was blown away by the story I read.  Books by this author in the past have been either meh or more hit and miss so I didn't jump into this one right away and I'm kind of sorry I did.  At the same time, it wouldn't have mattered when I read it, it would have always been perfect to me.  So not only will I be actively seeking out this series in its entirety, I'll be bumping up their other series' on my TBR list as well.  If this is the kind of story they can produce, consider my mind changed.

*$4.00 on Amazon or FREE on KU!
 Diamond in the Rough: Four Kings Security Book 4, Charlie Cochet

When the cards are stacked against you, the Kings will even the odds.
For Ward “King” Kingston the role of protector, forged by fire and tragedy, is one he takes seriously. When King is asked to safeguard the son of a four-star general and friend, he is pulled back into the world of government black ops on a mission that raises painful memories from his past. The moment King meets Leo, amid the chaos of a lockdown at a secret black site, it’s clear he’s never faced a challenge like this—one that will test his unwavering sense of control. 

Leopold de Loughrey is a misunderstood genius whose anxiety and insecurities are sent into overdrive when he is forcefully recruited to work on a top-secret project. Terrified of what his role as "invaluable asset" means, Leo’s stress leads to disappearances, arguments, and blowups that threaten the project and Leo’s future. King’s arrival is a calm in the storm for Leo and his frenetic thoughts.

King and Leo couldn’t be more different, yet as they navigate the dangers of a secret multi-agency operation and face unknown threats, their differences could be what saves them. Neither man believes a happily ever after is in the cards, but their hearts might just prove them wrong… if they can survive a deadly betrayal.

No comments:

Post a Comment