Deep: Deep Duet Book 1, M. Malone

Deep (The Deep Duet Book 1) by [Malone, M., Malone, Nana]

Coming back from the dead means the ghosts from your past are resurrected too.  With Rafe, that's a lot of ghosts.  A pair of dark eyes haunt his past and according to the organizations he "retired" from they can't be relegated to the past anymore.

Rafe is finally setting up a life.  Granted, he doesn't feel like it's his own yet, but he's working on it.  Feeling like he's on the periphery of his own family despite their attempts at inclusion is beginning to wear on him.  He'd like something that's his, something more, something deeper, but there's no way he deserves anything like that with the life he's lived, the things he's done.

I really like the redemption aspect of this story.  I'm a sucker for a guy who needs love and acceptance of every dark part of him to find healing and forgiveness.  Rafe is a good man, a man of justice.  Also knowing he's an agent of death does little to persuade him of his own goodness.

Diana needs to be saved.  Again.  She'll be saved by the same man more than once before their story is over.  What she believes about Rafe is different from the reality in front of her and she's having a difficult time reconciling the two.  Bent on revenge for the death of her father at Rafe's hands she's hatched a plan to get close to him and dispense that vengeance herself.  Falling for him in the process wasn't part of that plan.  What she doesn't know is that there's a lot behind the scenes working against not only her plan but their future.

With everyone holding back vital information we're swung from passion to secrets and back again.  The real truth isn't always the truth you start out believing.  For Diana she's getting a serious case of WTF when she starts learning that the father she's seeking vengeance for isn't the man she thought she knew.

I love Rafe.  I have since the beginning and suspected that his death wasn't really his end.  He's loyal, determined, wicked smart, dark, mysterious, and so in need of love.  Diana...well, I'm still reserving judgment.  She's secretive and vengeful because of something she acknowledges she doesn't know all the facts about.  I don't enjoy that she chooses a vendetta over logic and something she's beginning to see as a larger picture, a different truth.  The story ends on a cliffhanger, as usual, and this one is no less intense than any other in the Blake Security stories.  I was anticipating something more on the dangerous side of dramatic rather than mysterious.  Anxiously awaiting Deeper...

*$3.21 on Amazon!
 Deep: Deep Duet Book 1, M. Malone

*Pre-order Deeper to see how Rafe and Diana survive 
the convergence of their pasts...
Deeper (The Deep Duet Book 2) by [Malone, M., Malone, Nana]
 Deeper: Deep Duet Book 2
I fell in love with the boogey man.

For ten years I have plotted and planned my revenge against the man who was all shadow and death. He took the most important thing in my life away from me and I meant to return the favor.

Except, I was wrong...

Now, because of my mistakes, there are men intent on hurting him. But I will not run from this. I need to protect him just like he would protect me.

Even if that means doing the one thing he doesn’t want.

No comments:

Post a Comment