Then There Was You: Second Chances Duet Book 1, Claire Contreras

Then There Was You (Second Chances Duet Book 1) by [Contreras, Claire]

They were immature, angst-ridden, and in denial about virtually everything.  They were heart-breaking.  And despite my frustrations, I felt.  My chest is all squeezy-tight with anticipation for where they'll go from here, how they'll make things right, how Rowan will find redemption, how Tessa will become the woman she's supposed to be rather than the emotional, vulnerable, petty creature she's become by their whiplash courtship.

Rowan has been groomed to take over the CEO position since he was young and he's never truly thought to be anything else.  Small dreams of something else flitted through his mind time and again but nothing he was ever willing to fight for.  He gave in so often that he didn't know how to stand up for himself, his dreams, or for anyone else for that matter.  I disliked him and yet felt so sorry for him.  I felt depth of character, yes, but I also thought he was rather one-note.  There weren't many scenes where they were getting to the heart of matters without conversations getting derailed.  There also weren't many instances of him being the kind, sweet, tender person Tessa mentioned him being.  A few, yes, but not enough to make me want to root for him.  For me to love him I'll have to be seriously convinced by the amount and sincerity of his groveling in My Way Back to You.

Tessa has the brilliant, creative mind that can make her soar.  But no confidence to back it up.  Feeling unnecessary guilt for the tumult in her family has done a number on her but also the undermining by Rowan, his mother, Camryn, and her own often crippling self-doubt.  She's immature and kind of arrogant.  The arrogance comes from pride, though, and not unjustified.  The way she runs from the truth about so many things makes me doubt that she can truly be the partner of Rowan's heart like he needs.  He needs saving but she not only shouldn't put herself in the role of savior at her own detriment, but also because she has no clue how to grow up and save herself either.  I hope her time during her apprenticeship gives her the distance, clarity, and confidence to move beyond herself and to truly grow into the woman she should become.

Together they flipped from one side of the relationship to the other, friends to enemies and back, friends to lovers and back.  But nothing could save them from themselves.  Without complete honesty and vulnerability that comes with admitting their feelings and fears to themselves and one another they'll never make it.  They spelled their own demise and only time with a whole lot of groveling for forgiveness will spell their resurrection.  Both Rowan and Tessa frustrated me to no end and I both liked them and disliked them.  I disliked their reality as people and as a couple but liked their potential.  They each have something in them that made me hope for more so we'll see if My Way Back to You can fulfill those hopes.

There were quite a few flashbacks that gave background to their relationship and all the players bent on seeing them fail, rarely to succeed.  One character, Sam, was the support of both I'm very much looking forward to getting to know him better.  I have some fears about his condition and know that will probably increase the amount of angst and sad feels coming in My Way Back to You.  Overall, though, the story was one that I wanted to put down but couldn't.  At each moment I wanted to take a break I'd find myself another couple chapters in.  It's compelling but not for all the best reasons.  I'm glad it won't be long before we get the second half of this duet so I can put all these feelings to rest.

*$2.99 on Amazon or FREE on KU!
 Then There Was You: Second Chances Duet Book 1, Claire Contreras

*Their ride is certainly not over yet.
There's more angst to come and hopefully
their reunion will be one to celebrate.
Pre-order My Way Back to You...
My Way Back to You (The Second Chance Series Book 2) by [Contreras, Claire]
 My Way Back to You: Second Chances Duet Book 2, Claire Contreras

No comments:

Post a Comment