How to Vex a Vampire: VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 1, Alice Winters

How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 1) by [Winters, Alice]

Yet again, Alice has created a cast I'm absolutely addicted to.  From Finn's shenanigans to Marcus' allowance, to every other vamipre dhampir on the team and in the family, I just can't seem to get enough!  So the story isn't perfect, but I kind of just don't care at all because I had such a good time reading the story.  There were a ton of things to love while there were only a couple issues that reduced "believability"...if one can believe that the world Alice created and the species present is actually, uh, believable.

So on to the praise!!

I'm in awe of how Alice can create a snarky, ridiculous, hilarious, charming, vulnerable lead each and every time and have them still be unique and captivating on their own.  They're all so utterly fantastic.  With Finn we have an incredible amount of vulnerability with his limbs and the cause as well as the fact that his nightmare really isn't over.  And then there are his antics that are stupidly funny and make me wish to be at least a little like him.  His natural setting to annoy and yet charm are what make him endearing to the team that never thought he'd fit.  The way he gets Marcus to go along with his crazy is both confusing and completely obvious, as if there is any other way to be once you get sucked into Finn's orbit.

How to Vex a Vampire: VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 1, Alice Winters

The dots...so many connections to be made and while there were a couple distracted moments where they should have seen something coming, the connections made along the way were appropriate and no one played the dunce.  No one played the ignorant fool that so many authors use to kind of portray the obliviousness they hope the audience embodies.

Progressing the relationship could have been straightforward, but with characters like Finn and Marcus a lot more work had to go into it all.  I liked how it progressed, that there was a bit of push and pull and then the futility of fighting it brought them crashing together in all their passionate and awkward glory.  There was quite a bit of humor to be had while they were getting up to their sexy times too.  Though I can't say that their sexual chemistry in the actual bedroom was incendiary, there were some amazing moments of tenderness that went a long way to helping Finn appreciate and be open with his physical state and believing Marcus' enjoyment of Finn as a whole being.

There were two main conflicts in the story and they each had enough attention to keep a fluid story line and to give a great lead-in to the continuation.  Except how a college student could create a chemical in a casually-used lab with only a club affiliation and a bunch of textbooks, I'll never know.  Wrapping that up was a bit too tidy with the few pages of explanation before we get to the really big cliffhanger in regards to Finn's other issue.  Overall though, I think the story really worked well and the focus was well-placed all throughout.  I seriously CANNOT WAIT for book two to get here!!!

*$5.00 on Amazon!
 How to Vex a Vampire: VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 1, Alice Winters

Finn
Getting into the vampire-only detective unit was the easy part; what’s going to be more difficult is dealing with my new partner, an ancient vampire who keeps threatening to eat me. The unit has never had a human in it, and Marcus—or as I like to call him, Fangy McFangface—would really prefer to keep it that way. He’s grumpy, short-tempered, and broody, but I have a way with words and I know he’s starting to like me, even if he swears he’s not. But what he doesn’t know is that I didn’t join the unit because I was tired of being a homicide detective, I joined because there is someone after me. They’ve already taken enough from me and I’m afraid they’re going to take all of me if I don’t find someone to help. That’s all Marcus was supposed to be, but now, he’s so much more and I can’t imagine my life without him.

Marcus
The moment the pesky human walked through that door, I knew I had to get rid of him. He’s charming and almost everyone else instantly loves him, but he doesn’t understand how risky it is being part of this unit as a human. But as I get to know the stubborn man, I learn that perhaps he’s not as naive as I once thought. And maybe he’s what I needed to realize there is more to life than just work and my dog. A group arises who is threatening to disrupt the alliance between the humans and the vampires, but Finn is the one who shows me how strong that alliance can be and reminds me why it’s worth protecting. When threats hit closer to home, I realize I would do anything for Finn because he’s brought so much joy to my life—and because he’s mine.

This 105k word book contains: A creative use for undergarments, unintentional splits, a wolfhound who just wants to be a part of things, a vertically challenged human who still manages to wrap every vampire he meets around his little finger, the best date ever, possessiveness, really awkward dancing, some workplace revenge, and just a bite or two. Or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment