Dark Alpha's Temptation: Reapers Book 9, Donna Grant


Immediately I was drawn to Dubhan and Kyra.  They were both interesting and had either quirks or traits that were unique of all the characters I'd yet met and what brought them together was also very unique.  Not many of the Reapers struggle too hard or too long with their attraction and affection.  I actually prefer when they use their millennia of experience to see that what they're experiencing is singular and extraordinary and therefore don't shunt it to the side or deny it.  There are reasons for delaying and often a process to reconcile their past betrayals with their current situations, but when it hijacks the story I'm not a fan.  That doesn't happen here beyond the one side character they have in common.

Kyra's honesty was refreshing.  It took a little while for all her secrets to be revealed, but her openness with her thoughts and feelings was endearing.  I'm in love with her.  Her insight and resolute adherence to speaking what truths and opinions she had was an incredible strength and boon to all involved in the war.  For her to get Erith to see beyond her seemingly narrow view of her duty and involvement was an amazing feat that I longed to see.  I was so glad Kyra was the one to shed essential light on the truth so oft overlooked by Death.

Dubhan's past was painful, of course, but I think I would have liked a little more detail about it.  When he was telling his story it felt like he was telling someone else's story and the connection wasn't as visceral as it could have been.  There was more feeling when discussing Max than his own family's betrayal.  His family's involvement in the overall enemy's plans could have been a bit more detailed as well, but I was satisfied that we got what we got.

This is kind of a standalone, but we're to the point in the related series, Dark Kings, that it's really best to have read either the full Dark World books beginning with the Kings or at the very least, the Reapers' stories.  There are too many hints, implications, questions, and consequences being brought to the fore here in this story that I couldn't recommend it as a standalone romance.  As a part of a series and a world, this is one of my favorite!

*$3.99 on Amazon
There is no escaping a Reaper. I am an elite assassin, part of a brotherhood that only answers to Death. And when Death says your time is up, I’m coming for you…

Carrying Death's orders is my sole duty. I've never had reason to question her, even if I disagreed. But Kyra's fierceness and willpower sheds light on my mission. She drives the darkness of my world away. The answers to the Others' goals lie in her past. For Kyra, I will risk going against Death's wishes. For her...I will battle the past and the future itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment