Lucky Break: Clean Slate Ranch Book 4, A.M. Arthur

Lucky Break (Clean Slate Ranch Book 4) by [Arthur, A.M.]
 Lucky Break: Clean Slate Ranch Book 4, A.M. Arthur

Well.  I think it's important to mention that this wasn't a bad read at all.  It was enjoyable in many moments.  I just didn't love it.  And that's solely my own opinion and sensitivities declaring that, not because the quality of the book.  Well, not completely anyway.  There were some things about the writing, the characters, and the story itself that weren't as good as they could have been, but the way I feel is only a little influenced by that and mainly because I just didn't connect as I'd hoped I would.

The pacing was slow with far too many details for my taste.  In the last half of the story I found I didn't mind that so much, especially because we were finally getting answers to all the hints dropped constantly, but it took considerably longer to read this story than it would have taken me to read most any other book of the same length.  Romantically, however, I appreciated the slower build because they both had quite a lot of insecurities, fears, and/or reservations that they needed to be on their way to conquering before they could ever hope to have something secure and lasting between them.

With so many non-communications near the end I found my patience waning very quickly.  It's more frustrating with these men because they literally say before all this stuff goes down that they need to talk things out to avoid the issue.  While I get that reality means that there is sometimes a delay in notifying partners of plans, feelings, or problems, it just felt like the author was trying to manufacture even more conflict than was already present.  It was just too much for me.

And here's the big problem for me that is really just a me thing, I think.  I have a hard time with what's considered acceptable and/or expected of the "gay scene".  While I'm no prude and definitely don't judge consensual acts between adults, I'd never be okay with gratuitous flirting, grinding, wandering hands, and any other vaguely or overtly sexual displays between my partner and others, whether they be strangers or friends...and especially not an ex of any kind.  That's just not me.  So when Shawn was feeling what he was when watching Robin at the club and then Colt and Robin both downplay the display with justifying the "but I/he wouldn't go home with anyone but you" thing, I have issues.  Shawn not being used to that is not the same as Shawn not being okay with it.  I think it was more the latter in this instance, but his aversion to the scene is being attributed to his naivete and his anxiety.  I find that inexcusable and disappointing.

But what the story does have going for it is the tender sentiments they express, their understanding of one another, their sensitivity to one another's traumas, and the notions of family.  Those are all very powerful things and they're written well.  I am drawn to quite a few characters in this world and will likely look for opportunities to return here.  So while this isn't a glowing review, it is one that recognizes the positives as well as the personal grievances.  With two men that truly need one another and a whole lot of healing and love to go around, this is a family that I'd willingly revisit.

*$3.99 on Amazon
 Lucky Break: Clean Slate Ranch Book 4, A.M. Arthur

Shawn Matthews never imagined he’d be living out of his car, trying to make ends meet, but life doesn’t always go your way—he knows that better than most. When an accident leaves the Clean Slate Ranch shorthanded, Shawn is enlisted to help cook and finds himself bunked next to the sexiest cowboy he’s ever laid eyes on.

The first time Robin Butler spots the new chef, he thinks he’s seeing an actual ghost. Shawn is the spitting image of his late husband, and it spooks the hell out of him. The former rodeo-star-turned-ranch-hand does his best to avoid the soft-spoken cook—except it’s kind of tough when the man makes the best damn grub this side of the Mississippi and has a boy-next-door charm that’s impossible to resist.

Even though the tension between them practically sizzles, Shawn doesn’t do hookups and Robin isn’t ready for a new relationship. Besides, Robin can tell Shawn’s been hurt and deserves a partner who isn’t saddled with a tragic past. But chemistry doesn’t lie. Maybe finding each other—and a second chance at love—is the lucky break they both need.

No comments:

Post a Comment