The Hitman's Guide to Making Friends and Finding Love: The Hitman's Guide Book 1, Alice Winters

The Hitman's Guide to Making Friends and Finding Love: (The Hitman's Guide 1) by [Winters, Alice]
 The Hitman's Guide to Making Friends and Finding Love: The Hitman's Guide Book 1, Alice Winters

Funny, irreverent, and so sappy sweet I felt like I died from sugar overload, but was revived by hilarity and general ridiculousness. I think this was definitely an awesome book. There were some moments that had me skimming, others that were disappointing, a few that were frustrating, but the majority of what I felt was happy.

Jackson's reluctance to positively reinforce Leland's utter ridiculousness was all kinds of funny to me. His dry humor snagged my attention and the utter silliness of Leland grabbed me just as hard. The camp and the evasive use of the humor can definitely be a lot for some readers, but for me it was just this side of good because of Leland's general bad-A persona when Sandman came out to play.

I won't say I'm all for the idea of a hero hitman in real life, but the ideas of justice are well-argued because I think most people will agree that the legal sense of the word doesn't always serve the moral sense of it. This point was made repeatedly and became something of a "point to ponder" moment quite a few times when the "victims'" actions became known. What made Leland redeemable for me was that once he freed himself of the harsh manipulator of his formative years, his focus became research and proof before he made the shot. His sense of morality was a bit skewed in the eyes of the law, but he never again went blindly after money or orders.

The "big reveal" part was pretty over the top and I have to say it was not my favorite. Leland's panic put him in a difficult situation with Henry and while Leland's actions were surprising in their manic overreaction, it was Henry's relentless harping on one circumstantial fact that annoyed me much worse. Surely Henry's sense of honor, justice, and empathy would keep him from using the same cruel yet empty rebuttal to all of Leland and Jackson's pleas and explanations, but no, he couldn't see beyond the one descriptor. And honestly, I personally find parallels more convincing than pleading over and over while reiterating the same remorse. Like, what about Jackson taking orders to take out targets without confirmation of proof during his military service? Doesn't that seem awfully similar to Leland's situation prior to his hard-won emancipation? And what about Henry having to have likely seen innocent people put in prison or killed in the line of duty? There were quite a few things that could have been said differently to make the scene more powerful, convincing, and, dare I say it, shorter.

And shorter is another thing I'll say that I'm on the fence about. The overall story length wasn't too much of a problem for me because I really loved getting to know everyone (except Jackson's mom...she should just really be cut off, I feel. I'm hoping she gets it together in the future because if not, she deserves every moment of Leland-style torture she gets). There were moments though, that could definitely have been truncated or more concise and to-the-point to improve their efficacy and overall flow. The biggest issue for me with this was the overkill with the confessions of feelings about Leland's mistake and Jackson's heart during the safe-house moment. It was just that...overkill. While the sentiments were wonderful, they just took 'beating a dead horse' to a new level. Saying the same things again and again while not really changing the actual words being said or the motivations behind them, just restating the same stuff just isn't effective.

But what remains for me is how the humor style of both Leland and Jackson just fit me. They're fantastic together and I love that it took them quite a while to give in to the sexual tension so they were truly based on something solid and honest...well, as honest as Leland could be. Jackson was intelligent, but his brain and investigative talents took a serious backseat to Leland's own prowess in that regard allowing him to become a multi-faceted character worthy of a second, third, and fourth look. Jackson's heart was so sweet, so effusive, so full of everything for every part of Leland. There was so much to love about this book that it gave me reasons to overlook the things that were less impressive. I'm in love with these men and can't wait for their next crazy adventure.

*$3.99 on Amazon!
 The Hitman's Guide to Making Friends and Finding Love: The Hitman's Guide Book 1, Alice Winters

What happens when a snarky hitman and a by-the-book PI cross paths?

Leland
Being a hitman has its perks, but I never thought getting an accidental mooning by an attractive PI while he’s caught on a fence would be one of them. While it’s not exactly love at first sight, he’s captured my interest and won’t let go.

Suddenly, I find myself caught in a game of cat and mouse, determined to attract the attention of Jackson, the PI who should be my enemy. He pretends like he’s not flattered by my flowers and the mentions of my totally-not-fictitious blow-up doll Randy (or was it Dandy?), but I know better. Why else would he be teaming up with me to bring down Hardek, one of the city’s most ruthless criminals?

Jackson
Even though the cops are telling me that the hitman is a notorious contract killer, I can’t help but admit that I’m drawn to him. He’s funny, charismatic, and attractive. There’s no way this ridiculous man can be the person the cops are after.

But when Leland ends up at my doorstep injured, I’m faced with a tough choice. It’s my duty to hand him over to law enforcement, but my heart has other plans. I want to keep him. To protect him. To be with him.

Though one question remains: why in the world does the man have so many d*mn guns?

No comments:

Post a Comment