Drunk Boy: Call Me Daddy Book 2, Aubrie Lee


Drunk Boy (Call Me Daddy Book 2) by [Lee, Aubrie]
 Drunk Boy: Call Me Daddy Book 2, Aubrie Lee

The promise of the dynamic intimated in the premise is one that I'm definitely drawn to lately. And it doesn't hurt that I was interested in where the MC's could have taken the story even without the Daddy/boy stuff added in. I wish the execution had been as on-point as the synopsis, but I just didn't connect with the characters or the story as much as I had hoped I would.

Miguel and Dallas had a lot of chemistry that they could play off of, but it didn't really go very far. Their first scene was a good start, it just got muddled, confused, over-complicated, and distracted by the light of day and hesitations that didn't make a whole load of sense. The secrets were justifiably frustrating as well as the predictable concerns about age, but other than that there were so many moments that I felt like I was missing something, that I'd read too fast or skipped too much, that they were just making mountains out of thin air and not just mole hills. I feel like they just pushed the many small conflicts and misunderstandings way too hard for the length and pace of the story. 

The dramatic conflict that brought them together in the first place didn't really go anywhere either. I would have liked more time actually following an investigation instead of getting lost in so many other details that didn't push either the relationship or the plot forward. Adding in the side characters and it was just a bit too much for such a short story. I'm vaguely interested in what's going to happen between Dallas' contact and Miguel's brother, but other than that I think there were too many elements fighting for attention. 

With some better content editing this could be a great addition to the series. I'd have liked to see them keep more of the playful moments, the sweeter side of things to balance the secret that really is their biggest valid issue, and streamlining the extraneous details and events that detracted from the story's flow. This wasn't a bad book, I just had a difficult time connecting with the characters and the story.

*$2.99 on Amazon
 Drunk Boy: Call Me Daddy Book 2, Aubrie Lee

Was it a push from above, or just too many shots?
We were both drunk, that’s my excuse.
He had just broken up with his fiancĂ©, that’s his excuse.
But we both want to do it again.

Miguel Mancinelli isn't anybody's idea of a typical Daddy.
He's twenty-two years younger than Dallas Coulter.
He's physically bigger, but too rough around the edges to take care of anyone, but himself and his nightclub.
Yet, the day they meet everything changes… can they really blame it on the drinks?

No comments:

Post a Comment