Damaged Heart, S.C. Wynne

Damaged Heart: Gay Romance by [Wynne, S.C.]

I can't say this was my favorite book by this author.  There are many others of hers that I truly enjoy but I felt this one fell short of the mark.  With an interesting premise and hints of bonds healing someone suffering, I was eager to read the story.  Where it fell short was in character development and the relationship progression.  Potential was high, execution was relatively low.

Cory has a lot of emotional baggage and trauma.  I ached for his situation and even though I didn't connect with his character at all, I could see how he would behave the way he did.  Rhys was a bigger draw because he was a brighter, lighter character that had the potential to draw Cory from the darkness of his past, but there were quite a few things he did that left ambiguity rather than a clear path for Cory to follow.

Without giving anything away, I'll just leave my frustration with both men by saying that neither man resonated with me and their actions, while some were understandable, most of them were confusing, maddening, and absolutely unpleasant.  The overall story suffered because of the characters but I definitely enjoyed the setting and the sweet gestures and confessions that were included.  They saved the story from being dismal and distasteful, instead it was merely disappointing.

*$3.99 on Amazon
 Damaged Heart, S.C. Wynne

Cory Johnson fled Bayville as an eighteen-year-old following the suicide of his father. He’s estranged from his abusive mother and has made a life for himself as a successful lawyer in Los Angeles. While Cory’s career is rewarding, he’s unable to connect to people because of his upbringing.

When Cory’s mother dies he grudgingly returns to his hometown to handle the estate. Rhys Tucker owns the construction company that is going to renovate Cory’s childhood home. Rhys has harbored a crush for Cory since they were in high school. When Cory comes home, Rhys takes that opportunity to get close to Cory. Or at least try to.

Their physical chemistry is undeniable, but will Cory ever be able to have a real relationship with Rhys after being so emotionally scarred by his past? Can a heart as damaged as Cory’s every really come home?

No comments:

Post a Comment