Quick Reads, Quick Reviews 35

Parallel Larry by [Rohrbach, Jacqueline] Color My Kiss (Valentine's Inc. Book 5) by [Notaro, Michele] Pisces Floors Taurus: Signs of Love 4.5 by [Sunday, Anyta]


Parallel Larry by [Rohrbach, Jacqueline]A toaster mishap sends Larry to a parallel universe where he gets the chance to see if love crosses as many boundaries as he hopes.  Blind to a love that was right in front of him, Larry discovers that his obliviousness and reticence cost him his ideal partner.  I was intrigued by the premise and the crazy universe-bending potential for this story.  There were quite a few things that were likable and some that were less so.  I found myself quite apathetic when attempts were made at explaining things and yet the DMV scene was both humorous and as confusing as it was enlightening.  The drama was a lot bigger than I expected and felt the short story could have benefited from something a bit more simple.  Instead of spending enough time building a solid foundation between Larry and Greg, we had to go through a lot of crazy to make Larry's ultimate destination work.  It was just a bit too much.  The sweetness that was there, though, was worth the crazy.  I liked that the good Larry was awkwardly persistent and his simple yearnings were the most touching things I've read in a while.  Overall, this was a fun story that could have used a bit of streamlining to make it really sing.  3 stars.
 Parallel Larry, Jacqueline Rohrbach

Color My Kiss (Valentine's Inc. Book 5) by [Notaro, Michele]Needing a wedding date to accompany him to his sister's wedding, Poe takes his her advice and hires someone from a dating service.  What he doesn't expect is a stunner to approach him at the bar as his date...and it's a man.  Dakota gives Poe a chance to truly be himself and honest in a way he hadn't been able to before.  I loved Poe's determination to see things through and how he opened his heart to all the tenderness Dakota offered him.  Their romance built in a believable way and despite the assumptions and leading remarks made out of fear, they were a really good match.  I did think that the resolution between them and the "antagonists" of the story was a bit unresolved and I wished there had been more of a conclusion there.  Poe also didn't really develop a backbone, he pretty much remained the same despite finding freedom.  Dakota was my favorite, actually.  His earnestness and supportive nature really matched Poe and made him very likable.  Together they created a cute couple that embodied effervescence when they were engaged and open with one another as they interacted.  This was a very cute story with a charming couple that I want more of.  4 stars.
 Color My Kiss: Valentine's Inc. Book 5, Michele Notaro

Pisces Floors Taurus: Signs of Love 4.5 by [Sunday, Anyta]Back with my favorite couple from this series, Zane has something specific on his mind and in his earnest, clumsy way, he's trying to get Beckett to be utterly romanced into participating.  But as we all know, Zane's plans never go well and the unfortunate accidents happen over and over.  He ends up disheartened and I ached for him.  Except Beckett would never let Zane stay feeling that way so when he helps guide Zane to their sexy goals, they come together in a way that's utterly perfect for them.  I've loved this couple from their first moment and I'm still loving them now.  4.5 stars.
 Pisces Floors Taurus: Signs of Love Book 4.5, Anyta Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment